Thursday, November 25, 2010

Food


Today’s entry shall be food based in honor of Thanksgiving. Though it is not a holiday for glory if you look at the true historical aspects of it…… a man comes and invades a culture’s homelands and rapes and kills them, brings disease and such. Anyway back to the food. Asian food of course, I shall start off with Miso, . Miso is a traditional ingredient in Japanese food, most people know it from Miso soup but miso is found in many soups and other foods. It is made by fermenting, the process of converting carbs to alcohols and carbon dioxide or organic acids, it uses yeast or bacteria. It also eliminates anti-nutrients which tend to suck out the nutrients foods tend to claim they give.  Fermenting rice, barley and sometimes soy, there are some misos found without soy for those who are allergic, be sure to check though, most miso is made with soy.  It is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. Most people say it is salty and bitter but I find it has a bittersweet taste. It comes in multiple kinds, mainly red or white. It is easy to use, most recipes I have seen you tend to add it toward the end by dissolving it in a small amount of the food’s hot liquid then reheating the food to activate enzymes. I recommend trying it.
Next Soy sauce, a very common soy(obvious) ingredient, it is also fermented, I recommend getting Temari or good soy sauce with no gmos. The little packet’s in the Chinese restaurant are not recommended. Soy sauce originated in China but it used presently all over the world. Primarily in Asian food this condiment is salty, no doubt about it I will admit I use to hate it but now I use it a lot, probably should I heard a good soy sauce sub is Braggs Amino Acids which is really good for you. Both are good in moderation though. You can eat it with, on or in any food just about.  Make sure to put some in your Ramen ;].
Next! Ramen, the most common food in America I am sure, most people hear Ramen they think of the long noodles and poor college students, it is cheap, actually the food store last time I went had it on sale 6 packets for 1 dollar :D I was happy. Now information about it, it is made from Chinese wheat noodles and normally found in meat or fish broth.  Not needed though you can do it with Veggie broth or plain water you season with your own seasonings. Normally found in a traditional Ramen is soy sauce and or miso, toppings like sliced pork or mean, dried seaweed, kamaboko which is a white fish paste like thing commonly related with Naruto, also green onions, and corn.  Honestly I just use the noodles ditch the seasoning packet put in some garlic and onion, powdered normally but sometimes fresh minced garlic when I have a cold, then marjoram, thyme,  sea salt, fresh ground pepper and cayenne. Then I put in extras, a teaspoon of miso, soy sauce, and green onion sometimes sesame seeds on top. Nothing like the traditional Ramen but I like it.
I may talk more about food in a later post but these three things are the most common in America I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment